Thursday, November 08, 2007

SAD STORY-DEATH BY HYPOGLYCEMIA

I guess I can't always write about beautiful little puppies and fun happenings at TMY, so here is a true story that just pulls at my heartstrings. Why am I telling you about this? Because here at TMY we are open, we want to educate you and it doesn't matter if you are purchasing a puppy from us or someone else. We feel it is so important that you know what to do no matter what. Why other breeders don't take the time, we are not sure............. I guess this is an example of just what sets us apart from others. Read and Learn...........

Recently I recieved a phone call from Erin in Indiana. Yes Indiana believe it or not!! She had visited Maine last summer and had met my husband at his workplace. She had sneaked her yorkie into the store with her and of course my husband saw the little one and they started chatting, and he showed her a pic of our family that he carrys on his clipboard. He gave her one of our cards with our information on it. One of her friends bought a beloved little yorkie from a "backyard" breeder out there. She picked up her healthy, bouncy little one, visited Erin and let the puppies play and went home. Apparently that evening the pup either did not eat at all or only ate a little. Later she crated the pup and went to bed. In the morning when she awoke, she went to get her little one up and she lay dead in her crate!!! Her heart is broken! The reason for the phone call to me was..........WHY????
Of course that is hard to answer, but the reasonable reponse and in all probability is that the pup died during the night due to hypoglycemia, low blood sugar. Had the breeder educated this new mom of the potential for hypoglycemia this may have never happened. Hypoglycemia can be caused from stress from a change in environment, heat or cold, lack of nutrition, extended play and many other things. A reputable breeder would educate you BEFORE you take the puppy home. As all of you remember who have purchased pups from me, I more than stress the importance of eating, limited play and Quick Start........ I send all of my pups home with a squirt bottle of Quick Start, a high sugar content liquid. If this is not available to you from a vet, then make sure you pick up some Nutri Stat or Nutri Cal at the petstore to use. You can mix some of this in a small container with some Kayro syrup or honey to use. It will do the same thing.
I also send home a container of baby food meat, canned foods and kibbles. It is sooooo important that these little ones eat. They can deplete their sugar easily just due to stress and play.
The other thing I recommend is to take your puppy straight home!! I know you want to show him/her off, but these first few days are critical. Let him enjoy you and get used to his new surroundings. There is plenty of time for visits in the future.
Limit their playtime. Yes it is cute to see them bouncing around the house, but again, they are tiny babies and need their rest.
Remember, TMY has a handout located within our website on hypoglycemia. I also am available for questions at any time..........it does not matter to me if I know you or not. Please do not hesitate to call me.....................don't have your heart broken because some breeder did not take the time to educate you. Holly

No comments: