Thursday, February 08, 2007

KELSI HAD SURGERY

Hi all........it has been a very stressful day. Kelsi had surgery today but everything is fine. Over the past few months I have noticed that Kelsi had been swollen like she was in heat. Sometimes she would bleed but other times she was just swollen. She also spent allot of time licking herself. Recently she started swelling about every two weeks. I was worried, and as worry warts go, I started dreaming that she had a tumor, or maybe cancer and that she would die if she did not have surgery. So last week I took her up to see doc to be checked. We discussed my thoughts and my dreams, and decided to go ahead and have bloodwork first and to put her on an anti-biotic as a precaution. If everything checked out good, we would schedule spaying her.

Kelsi will be 10 years old in April. My central Maine vet used to tell me....."why spay her...she is only 4 lbs and it puts her at too much risk..... she is so little the heats won't be bad...you don't have to spay her.........." so I didn't. I never intended on breeding her as again, I was told by my vet that she was too little. So breeding never crossed my mind. Little did I know that I put her at risk for something more potentially deadly. Here I am, learning something new every day!!

The surgery was slated for today. Dr. Hutchins assured me he would call immediately following the surgery and let me know how she did. What he found was a uterus and fallopian tubes full of a disease called closed pyometra. Her uterus and tubes weighed a full pound. Had the pyometra burst, Kelsi would have died within 24-48 hours. Luckily, Kelsi is fine and is home tonight recovering. She is being a real trooper and is resting.
I want to share with you about the disease, so those of you who have not spayed your older females may reconsider.

Pyometra is a uterine infection where the uterus fills with pus. Pyometra is common in unspayed dogs. It is a serious uterine infection that is potentially fatal. Pyometras can present as either open or closed. In the open form the cervix is open and there may be a foul smelling discharge. In the closed form, the cervix is closed so there will be no discharge. The closed pyometra is more difficult to diagnose and the animal usually will get very sick because the body is retaining the infection.
Symptoms may include, but are not limited to: smelly vaginal discharge, licking more, enlarged abdomen, vomiting, not eating, lethargy, drinking more, urinating more, and dehydration. If your dog displays these symptoms take her to the vet right away to be examined. If a closed pyometra ruptures, the dog will die within 24-48 hours. Open pyometra sometimes can be treated with IV antibiotics but usually will reoccur within one year. Spaying is the best option.

Kelsi will be on pain medication and antibiotics for a few days. Her staples will be removed in 7-10 days. In the meantime, I have fixed her a Queens bedroom in an oversized kennel in the dining room where she will rest, be fed rice, chicken, hamburg and anything else she wants until she is recouperated. I love Kelsi and could have possibly lost her had I not acted on my instincts. Did I take a chance on having a surgery performed like that? Yes this is some risk due to her age and potential complications........but in this case it was worth it!!! I want my first little yorkie to live to be 25!!!!

Hope this has enlightened some of you out there..........it was my lesson for the day!!!!! Holly

No comments: