Saturday, February 03, 2007

RESEARCHING PEDIGREES

It's funny. I know many of you have started a project or perhaps just dove into a venture without clearly thinking it through, or researching the history. I have and it seems that now I realize just how important it was and the should-have, could-haves and would-haves are surfacing! When we started our breeding program we thought that we could depend on other breeders to teach us and share with us what they know. WRONG!! There are lots of breeders of Yorkshire Terriers out there that will tell you what you want to hear, and the others who show and have champions would not sell you a pup for breeding for any amount of money. It is sacred ground that you are attempting to walk on. The answers I have received are much of the same, "I have thousands of dollars in my dogs and I am not going to give away my lines....., I worked 8 years to get where I am and I am not going to give it away.....etc etc." But the reality is, it is true and ownership is theirs......I am now starting to feel the same way. When we ventured into the raising and selling our yorkies pups, we started from scratch..networking, talking and trying to buy with pictures. I dont know how many times I was told, "Yes, I think the dad or mom has champion bloodlines....only to see 3 generations of no champs." Both my husband and I decided even before we had our first litter that we would not sell our pups to breeders, especially in Maine. I unfortunately have had to say no many times already. Like these breeders who have been 8-18-28 or 50 years in the business, we are already wanting to preserve ours. Is it wrong? I don't think so......and only time will tell us if we might produce some champions in the future! I can't wait to find out!!! We will always have pet only sales so don't worry future yorkie lovers.
I have done my homework now.....a bit late but necessary. I have extended pedigrees coming that are in the mail as I write. If anyone out there is interested, there is an efficient and great company called Brewster Pedigrees in Arizona. Just give them a call at 1-800-841-0461 and they will get started researching your dogs. With those, I will be able to trace my dogs lines and make some informed decisions in the future. Wish me luck and Best of luck to you too. Holly

No comments: