Thursday, December 28, 2006

JAZZY STAR UPDATE


Well I just could not stand it. My little tiny Jazzy presented with such a "HUGE" belly with what seemed to pop out overnight......I thought something just had to be wrong. She has 20 more days to go and she looks like she will just bust. I assessed everything myself first.......I checked her temperature.......normal. I looked for purulent discharge......none.....I kept feeling to see if I could feel the puppies move or kick......nothing or maybe???, is she eating ok.........yes, is she pooping and peeing ok...........yep, is she showing any signs of pain........nope. Hmmmmmmm. My little pregnant baby has the belly the size of a mellon. She wants to lay on your lap on her back having you rub that HUGE booda over and over. She makes squeeking sounds with pleasure....."oh that feels sooooo good." I still am worried.........I called my doctor. Doc she looks fine but she is sooooo HUGE!!! I want her checked...........so off to the Vet's we went.

Jazzy loves to ride so going to see the doctor was a big treat for her. Only 10 minutes away from where I live, we arrived. She looked at me to say.......we are here already!!! Not fair!!!

We went in and Doc checked her all over from top to bottom. "Yep......she is pregnant alright!" "Well ya!........I already knew that! Tell me more........is she ok. Look at that Booda!!" He asked me if I was sure about the breeding date. I told him yes, November 14th. There was only one tie. Doc says, "well lets fire up the xray and see what we can see........no sense doing an ultrasound, we will only hear heartbeats with that."

A few minutes later he came in and hung the photo. I really couldn't see much, not like the other xrays I have had done after the 53 day mark.

He said, "Well I really thought you were going to be wrong on the date of breeding. She looks almost like she could deliver, but where she still has 20 days to go, you can see the bone structures are there but not calcified or we could see them by now. See right here, and here, and here....I think these are puppies........and we can't see what might be on the other side or in back of these. It looks like at least 3 to me.........but we will be able to tell more once the bone matures. You would be surprised how just in 20 more days how the bone will thicken and we will then be able to see what is going on. I was hoping we would see more...but we can't. I want you to bring her back on the friday before she is due so we can see what we are going to be up against for the weekend.........just in case!" "Holly she is fine...but we might be looking at a large litter for this little girl!"
Darn...nothing confirmed...for sure! But it looks like she will have at least 3 pups....my poor little Jazzy....leave it to her to have a huge litter for her first. Am I still worried???.......yes a little, but I feel better just knowing that her HUGE BOODA is babies and not an unsuspected infection or something. I just pray all her tiny babies are healthy and she has a smooth delivery.

Knowing a little or too much is sometimes dangerous. Being a registered nurse I think of all the things that might go wrong. On top of that, I heard of a little dog that was bred. The owner wanted to "save money" and did not come in after the 53 day mark to have an x-ray as the doctor recommended. The dog came due for delivery......no delivery...Several days after the suspected due date, the little dog became sick and then the owner decided to take her little dog to the vets. They did an xray. What it showed was one live puppy...overgrown to the point that the dog could never have it naturally and one mummified pup rotting in the little dogs womb. They had to perform an emergency C-section, however, the little mom dog died after a few hours post surgery. Her little body had been poisoned from the rotting fetus. A day or so later the one live pup also died. Now this owner lost both her little female dog and her new puppy. Was it worth saving those few dollars? Is $55.00 well spent for an x-ray to KNOW what you and your little female is up against???? Darn right it is...............I will never deny my puppies big or small vet care. I don't care what it costs. It is my responsibility to make sure they are safe and they have what they need. I have said before and will say it again........I breed Yorkies and it's not about the money. It's the love for the breed, and the love for all of my Yorkie family that keeps me going. These dogs are my babies, my family and a huge part of my life. There are many breeders out there that cannot "honestly" make that statement. Damn you puppy mills! and shame on you.......backyard wanna make a dollar breeders.

I will keep you updated on Jazzy's progress. She is due Jan. 16th and we expect a big litter of tinies. Holly

No comments: