Wednesday, January 03, 2007

DESIGNER OR MUTTS?

I have been doing some research and reading articles about the barrage of "designer dogs" being bred in the U.S. It's amazing to me that people are spending $400 to $2000 for the cross bred dogs.
It used to be that crosses between AKC dogs were considered mistakes. We called them mutts, Heinz 57's, mongrels and more. But over the last 5 years, but more prevalent the last 2, these cross breeds have become so ever popular. Even movie stars are buying them and flauting them on National TV. We are forever hearing about Labradoodles, Yorkiepoo's, Shizpoo's, puggles, shorkies and more.
One has to wonder why this has become such the rage and such the craze.......
Do you realize that these designer dogs even have their own registering organization like AKC? It's called the American Canine Hybrid Club. My understanding is that they are registering over 500, yes I said FIVE HUNDRED litters per month!!!!
It has been reported by the American Pet Products Manufacturers Association that the "number or mutts grew by ONE MILLION to THIRTY-ONE MILLION dogs in the last 5 years." It blows my mind!!!
Many reports indicate that there are more of these "designer dogs" turned into shelters than ever before. Puppy mills are producing pups faster than they can sell them. Many of these poor little God's creatures are ending up not placed in loving homes.
There are also many reports regarding the cross breeding of these dogs and the physical and medical problems arising. Two reports I read talked about the Puggles. This is a cross between a pug and beagle. Apparently they are prone to having their eyes pop out onto their cheeks due to the type of eye socket they produce! I can't even imagine..............!!!!! A very informative article was produced by Jessica Fischer puplished on 06/24/06. You can look it up on the web. The title is "Designer Dogs: Fashionable hybrids may face problems later."
Yes I understand that may breeds are prone to different hereditary and genetic problems, but why breed dogs if one is going to ignore all the literature. As a responsible breeder, I try to breed within the standard. I try to better the breed. I try to make sure that all of my pups go to loving homes and if for some reason they cannot stay with their new parents, the pup/dog MUST come back to me. I screen all of the inquiries that come into me regarding my puppies. I never ever want one of my pups to end up in a puppy mill.
Just yesterday I was speaking with an associate yorkie breeder. She commented that Maine was a HUGE PUPPY MILL STATE!!! I never thought that....but it made me stop and think.

I love Yorkshire Terriers. I love the BREED! Anyone that has owned a yorkie knows what I am talking about. They steal your heart, they become a HUGE part of your life, and they love you unconditionally. Their beauty and loyalty surpasses all other breeds in my eyes.

For those of you out there breeding 8-14 pound yorkies, chocolates, and cross breeding I have a question for you............... Can you honestly say you love yorkies? Can you look at yourself in the mirror and say that when you bought your first AKC registered baby yorkie that you committed to breed within the standard and to improve it? Can you honestly look into the heavens and tell God that you are breeding to share your love for these dogs....or is it for the money???

My dear readers........Help me keep the breed what it is supposed to be..........true full bred, AKC registered Yorkshire Terriers, bred within the standard set forth by AKC. Help me put the puppy mills out of business and help those who care as I, to shame these breeders that breed outside the standard. We together can stop this maddness of designer dogs by boycotting the purchase of them. That will slow them down.............no demand..............no need for supply.

If I have hit a nerve on this subject, my apologies. This is just my opinion, and I welcome yours.

No comments: