Wednesday, January 17, 2007

JAZZYS DELIVERY STORY





Sunday night Jazzy was very restless. She sleeps with me every night and she woke me up several times "nesting" in my bed. I was thinking that she might have the pups on my bed, but knew she would wake me.
Monday morning she would not eat her treats so I knew it would be close. I put her in the whelping box behind my computer station while I was trying to work. About 8 am Dr Hutchins office called to ask how she was doing. At that point I told them she was fine, restless but fine. They wanted to let me know they were in the office and if I needed anything to please call. I could not have a better doc or office to go to for my dogs. I am so blessed for sure!!!
Around 9 a.m. she started pushing. WOW!!! I didn't expect it.....a day early!!!We had to scamble to get everything out we would need at the last minute. After a few minutes we saw our first puppy. We had to assist a little as the baby came breech and her fat little belly was holding up progress. # 1 girl weighing in at 3 1/8th ounce.
About an hour later #2 baby was born. About the same synario, we had to assist, another breech and this girl weighed in at 3 3/4 ounce.
There was quite a long lull with no activity but finally around noon number 3 pup came flying out. I was sitting next to the box and I heard a 'SQUIRT" of water and looked and #3 was lying there. Another girl!!!!! She weighed in at exactly 2 ounces. SHE IS SOOOOOO TINY!!!!!!
In between babies we were trying to get the first 3 to nurse. The little one was rather weak and just would not open her mouth to latch on. I got the premaid newborn milk out, warmed it and I-dropper fed her to get her started. She looked healthy but just so tiny.
We waited and waited for number 4 pup. It was unnerving both my husband and myself. Around 2:15 out popped number 4. Another girl weighing in at 2 1/8 ounce. OH MY GOODNESS....another little teeny tiny. The baby latched right on and started nursing immediately. Still waiting for #5........................................................................................
It was about 4:00pm or so and she started pushing again. My husband had gone outside earlier to put on the snowplow as we were having an icestorm. In a split second #5 had been born. It was a boy!!!! I tore the sack and started rubbing and cleaning like I had the other 4 but something was wrong........I saw him stuggling to take his first breaths.........but I could tell he was in trouble. Of course I yelled to Scott and he came running in. In 2 seconds flat we cut the cord and started working on him.......come on little boy...come on!!!! He took about 3 little breaths more but stopped. I tried really hard to get him going again but to no evail. I lost him. This little tyke only weighed 1 5/8th ounce. He was extremely tiny and underdeveloped. How could I tell??? He was gray in color.......not black, his little eyes were big bubbles like he had more progressing to do......he was so tiny, and as I stroked his little limp body I noticed his ribs seemed crushed on one side and probably puncture his little lungs. It was just not meant to be. I struggled with this loss very much the rest of the day and the next. Shed lots of tears for him and just felt so helpless. Loss is not easy of any kind. I know he would probably have had lots of problems and may have even died after a few days...........but it is still difficult. Scott and I had decided we were going to keep a little male if she had one...........so this was OUR baby we lost.
The moment God took my little boy to heaven, I realized that God needs yorkies too!!!!! I bet he is running around being the "HOLY TERRIER" that they are. I am blessed with 4 girls and I am thankful. Jazzy my little girl is doing great and she is a wonderful mom. The puppies are holding their own. We have continued to supplement with newborn milk day and night. I am tired but it is worth it. Today they actually act a little stronger which gives me hope they all will be ok.
NOW I KNOW WHY I TELL PEOPLE THEY ARE PRICELESS!!!
Continue to keep them in your prayers so that they grow strong and all stays well. Thanks so much.............Holly

No comments: