Sunday, January 28, 2007

YORK COUNTY KENNEL CLUB

Hi all, I thought I would take a change of pace for today and talk about something other than puppies even though lately, they have really consumed my time and life!!

I want to talk about a local Club that I belong to. It's the York County Kennel Club and we meet every last Monday of the month at 7 pm at the Eldora Boston House located right beside the West Kennebunk Animal Shelter. To learn about their history and what they do, you can go to their website at http://www.yorkcountykennelclub.homestead.com/.

I joined the Club last year after attending an AKC point show that they were hosting at the Acton Fair Grounds. I had never been to a dog show and I was truly amazed!! I had never seen so many breeds of dogs in my life and many of them I had NO idea even what they were called. I was in wonder of all the activity, enthusiasm and knowledge there. Of course my focus was on the yorkies.........but there were many other show handlers and breeders there as well.
For the most part, people would speak with you, answer your questions and be friendly, however there also were those who were stowic, wouldn't even look at you or smile and kept to themselves. That's ok, as the tension and work being done is serious business for many. It could mean finishing a championship or earning points toward their championship to promote their lines and dogs. Either way, for me it was exciting and a BIG learning experience. I networked with a couple of Maine breeders but also with some from Connecticut and New York. Their dogs were absolutely beautiful in their show coats and more!! It was just like being at the Eukanuba Championship show for me!! (you can't tell I was excited!)
Anyway, I met this wonderful lady Charlotte M. Apparently she has been a member of the Club since it's inception. One thing led to another and I joined right on the spot. This group carrys a world of experience and knowledge and I value my membership with them. We not only work hard but we also have fun. I would encourage anyone that has a love for dogs to join. If I can sponsor you let me know.

The Club is holding some fundraisers coming up and here is a sneak preview. On 4/21/06 we are sponsoring an Antique Appraisal Day.....you know kinda of like what is on TV. You can bring one to three items and for a small fee get it appraised. The location will be announced. Watch in local papers and I will post it here. Also the next YCKC AKC Point Show will be held on May 5th and 6th at the Acton Fairgrounds. Save the date and come on out. You will not be disappointed.

On 3/25 There will be a "Meet the Breeds" Showcase at the Saco Recreation building. I am going to try to participate with my girls. Come on out for fun time and to see all the different kinds of dogs. As other activities develop. I will try to keep you posted.

Hope you have enjoyed this kind of information as well.....and maybe you will see me in the showring this year!! Holly

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Holly;
You have a lot of great information on your blog. Thanks for hard work...

yorkiegirl said...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMPLIMENT!