Friday, April 13, 2007

DENALI-12 WEEKS OLD

Denali is the pup we are keeping for potential show. She is out of Taylor's Jazzy Star and Taylor's Sir Grady. She is 12 weeks now and is coming along really well. I have started leash training and we are starting handling classes next week. Denali is very outgoing and is responding to commands already. She will come when called, she has started sitting on command and will walk with me on the leash. We have been practicing the "stack" although she likes to sit in this position........but she will get it after awhile.
As you are introducing new things and commands to your puppy, use a reward system. I use teeny tiny pieces of beef pupperoni and she loves them. She knows if she does what I ask, she gets a piece. I do not give her some for trying........only when she does it.
I do this also when handling her toes, ears and teeth. I tell her, "toes" and I rub them, hold her nails and massage inbetween her pad, the same with her ears. I also touch her teeth and rub my fingers on them as brushing will come soon along with the fact that in the show ring the judge will lift her lips to look at them........Training can be tedious, however, these pups are very intellegent and with consistency and repetitivness, they train relatively easy. Holly

No comments: